Announcements: Welcome Back to School!!
Assignment Due by the Beginning of Class Period
|9/15||Send me an email affirming your acceptance of the Honor pledge and class policies. Review the Greek alphabet and rules of pronunciation from the Athenaze introduction. With the rest of your hour, practice reading aloud and writing down the words on page xxxiv.|
|9/17||Quiz on the Greek Alphabet (recognition, writing, and identifying names of letters; writing the letters in order; both lower and upper case letters)|
|9/18||Quiz on endings for the present active indicative singular of λύω, φιλέω and the verb "to be"|
|9/21||Quiz on chapter 1 vocabulary. Also, read the grammar section from ch. 2a|
|9/22*||Begin translating the reading passage from ch. 2b (have it neatly written out for possibly handing in). Review the noun-adjective chart and the grammar on page 24|
Quiz on chapter 2 vocabulary; read grammar ch. 3a; what is the infinitive of a verb? How does it differ from the imperative and indicative moods?
|9/28||Quiz on 2nd declension noun forms, singular and plural, adjective agreement, the masculine article (page 39)|
|9/29*||Quiz on verb forms from chapter 4a (including plurals, imperatives, and indicatives)|
|10/1||finish translating chapter 3|
|10/2||Test (including chapter 1-3 vocabularies, all grammar covered to this point)|
|10/6*||Read the Chapter 4a and 4b grammar sections. That is your only HW|
|10/8||Quiz on 1st Declension nouns|
|10/9||Translate (write out) Chapter 4b reading|
|10/12||Quiz on Chapter 4 Vocabulary.|
|10/13*||Quiz on alpha contract verbs (memorize chart page 68); review epsilon contract verbs (middle page 48); study the declension of δεσπότης (58)|
|10/15||Quiz on μέγας, μεγάλη, μέγα and πολύς, πολλή, πολύ (page 60)|
|10/16||Translation exercise TBA|
|10/19||Quiz on personal pronouns of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd persons (page 77-78)|
|10/20*||Quiz on Chapter 5 vocabulary|
|10/22||Translation exercise TBA|
|10/23||Quiz on attributive/predicate position, possessive adjectives, and αὐτόν (78-81)|
|10/27||Quiz on middle endings of all verbs (includes contract verbs, imperative and infinitive —pages 90-91)|
|10/29||Test Chapters 4-6|
|10/30||Study the grammar sections pages 96-99; Read about Homer, pgs. 102-103|
|11/2||Study the 3rd declension endings; write out WORKBOOK exercise 7b|
|11/3*||Quiz on 3rd declension noun charts for φύλαξ, παὶς, and ὄνομα|
|11/5||Quiz on Chapter 7 vocabulary|
|11/6||Study the grammar sections pages 106-109; review vocabulary for test on Monday ;|
|11/10*||Quiz middle participles (see page 134)|
|11/12||Quiz syncopated 3rd declension nouns; γυνή, χείρ, πᾶν (pages 145-6)|
|11/13||Test Chapters 1-7 vocabulary|
|11/17*||Quiz on Chapter 8 Vocabulary, including numbers 1-10 (pg 148-9)|
|11/19*||Test on Chapters 7-8, including vocabulary|
I will add linls to this space as we move through the year.
The Ancient Greek World, a site with many links and basic information. Accompanying YouTube Video Here
The Greek World, by the BBC. Intended for younger children, but still fun to explore.
As a member of Dr. Reider’s Greek 1 class, I agree to
honor the following principles, in addition to the general class expectations
1. I will not cheat by sharing answers with another student during either a test or a quiz, or by copying from another paper or knowingly allowing my paper to be copied by another. I understand that my teacher trusts me to abide by this agreement even if out of the room for a moment.
2. Although I understand that I may confer with others in doing my homework, I will not simply copy another student’s work and present it as mine. My name on any work signifies that I have done that work, not another.
3. I will not use any translation, published or online, as an aid for my homework.
4. I will tell my teacher before class if I have not been able to complete an assignment.
5. I will not write vocabulary words in my text.
6. I will not copy down translations as other students present them in class.
7. I will always respect other people’s property. I will not borrow books or notes from others or the classroom without their specific permission.
8. I will conduct myself in class in a manner conducive to self-respect and the respect of others.