Announcements: Remember to refresh your browser to catch any updates to this syllabus!!!!
|3/30||Welcome Back: No HW; Bring the new books!!!|
|3/31||Catullus 2, 3 translate|
|4/1||Catullus 5, 6, 7|
|4/4*||Catullus 8, 10|
|4/6||Catullus 11, 12|
|4/7||Catullus 13, 14a|
|4/8||Catullus 16, 22|
|4/11*||Test: Translation (prepared), scansion, and essay on Catullus|
|4/13||Write a poem in English in the Hendecasyllabic Meter (7 lines minimum)|
|4/14||Catullus 31, 35|
|4/18*||Catullus 50, 51|
|4/20||Test: Sight Translation.|
|4/22||Catullus 58, 65|
|4/27||Catullus 69, 77|
|4/28||Catullus 70, 72, 76|
|4/29||Catullus 84, 85, 86, 87,|
|5/2*||Test: Scansion (all) & Essay|
|5/4||Catullus 96, 101, 109, 116|
|5/5||Complete the Horace Treasure Hunt; Horace 1.1|
|5/6||Enjoy Your Holiday!!|
|5/13||Horace 1.9, 1.11|
|5/18||Horace 1.20, 25|
|5/23*||Test: Translation, Treasure Hunt, Reading Comprehension (includes questions about references), & Scansion of Horace|
Words Dictionary, by William Whitaker. Latin to English and English to Latin
The Latin Library. Clean Virgil Text For Student Download
Other Sites of Interest
Orbis. Maps of the Ancient Roman World by Stanford University
Silva Rhetoricae: Descriptions and examples of devices derived from classical poetry and rhetoric.
As a member of Dr. Reider’s Latin class, I agree to honor the following
principles, in addition to the general class expectations covered separately:
1. I will not cheat by sharing answers with another student during either a test or a quiz, or by copying from another paper or knowingly allowing my paper to be copied by another. I understand that Dr. Reider trusts me to abide by this agreement even if he steps out of the room for a moment.
2. Although I understand that I may confer with others in doing my homework, I will not present another student’s work as mine. My name on any work signifies that I, not another, have done that work.
3. I will abide by Dr. Reider's class policy regarding use of published translations in preparing homework.
4. I will tell Dr. Reider before class if I have not been able to complete an assignment.
5. I will not write vocabulary words in my text.
6. I will not copy down translations as other students present them in class.
7. I will always respect other people’s property. I will not borrow books or notes from others or the classroom without their specific permission or Dr. Reider's.
8. I will conduct myself in class in a manner conducive to self-respect and the respect of others.